In spring 2013, the delegates of the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges (ASCCC) directed the ASCCC, through Resolution S13 1.02, to develop a process of periodic institutional review for assessing operations, policies, processes, and programs in order to ensure the public good and accountability. The purpose of this review is to provide internal and external stakeholders assurance as to the ASCCC’s quality and commitment to the standards it sets for itself, to assist in improving the effectiveness of its services and operations in order to meet its stated goals, and to improve its policies and procedures. In spring 2014, guidelines and process documents were adopted through Resolution S14 1.02. In following a process of self-review and improvement, and in response to the Periodic Review Reports of 2016-17 and 2020-21, the Periodic Review process has been reviewed and updated. The Periodic Review shall be conducted by a Periodic Review Committee (PRC) using the following criteria and processes structured around the ASCCC Mission with a focus on accountability, benefit to the public, and transparency. Please see the Periodic Review Guidelines for additional information regarding the process for the review.
It should be noted that the ASCCC is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization, not an educational institution, and must adhere to laws governing such organizations. While this may resemble an accreditation review process, it is not an accreditation process, nor is it a required element of a 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization.
The review criteria were originally adapted from the broad ethical principles outlined in the 10.00 Code of Ethics policy approved by the ASCCC Executive Committee on January 14, 2006, revised August 12, 2011, and revised again March 5, 2021 with a new number: 20.01 Code of Ethics.
The following criteria and processes shall be used to complete the review. The ASCCC Executive Committee (EC) will respond to each of the following areas as provided for in the Periodic Review Criteria Template and Rubric. In examining each area, the PRC shall factor in the operations, policies, procedures, and programs that support these areas and how well they function, along with the EC responses in the Periodic Review Criteria Template and Rubric. The PRC shall record its overall assessment of each of the areas using the Periodic Review Template and Rubric. As appropriate, the PRC shall provide a brief analysis which may include commendations and recommendations and a rationale for each one.
1. Mission - The ASCCC aligns its operations, policies, processes, and programs with the mission and addressing the strategic plan.
2. Accountability - The ASCCC has a system of checks and balances to ensure that the ASCCC addresses the needs of and directives from local academic senates and faculty in the California Community College system relating to academic and professional matters.
3. Benefit to the Membership and Public - The ASCCC provides resources, services, and guidance to local academic senates and faculty in regard to academic and professional matters in the California Community College system that are beneficial to member academic senates and the California Community Colleges in providing high quality, equity-focused education and educational services to students.
4. Transparency - The work of the ASCCC, including processes and communication, is transparent.
The following guidelines shall be employed for the Periodic Review of the ASCCC. These guidelines accompany the Review Criteria to be used by the Periodic Review Committee (PRC) and by the ASCCC Executive Committee. The guidelines address the following areas:
- Composition of the PRC,
- Selection process for the PRC,
- Responsibilities of the PRC chair and reviewers,
- Resources to review,
- Responsibilities of the ASCCC Executive Committee,
- Evaluation by the ASCCC Executive Committee, and
- Report document and presentation.
Using the Periodic Review Template and Rubric, the PRC shall record its overall assessment of each of the areas, which will serve as the PRC Report. As appropriate, the PRC shall provide a brief analysis which may include recommendations with a rationale for each one that can be considered by the ASCCC Executive Committee to strengthen the organization, and possibly commendations for areas where the ASCCC has demonstrated outstanding service. The President and Executive Director, in consultation with the officers, will assign any recommendations from the PRC Report to the appropriate ASCCC Committees, Task Forces, or individuals for consideration, action, and response. The assignments will be considered by the Executive Committee for final approval.
For additional information on each Guideline, please view the attached Periodic Review of the Academic Senate Document.
The ASCCC Executive Committee will initiate the Periodic Review every six (6) academic years.
- The cycle begins on the first day of the incoming Executive Committee (next periodic review: 2026-27; cycle begins June 5, 2021).
- The cycle ends on the last day of the outgoing Executive Committee terms (next periodic review: 2026- 2027; cycle ends at the completion of the June 2027 executive committee meeting).
- Completed Periodic Reviews
- 2016-17 (cycle ended June 1, 2017)
- 2020-21 (cycle ended June 4, 2021 - presented to body in fall 2021 due to COVID-19 pandemic)
- Next Periodic Review
- Internal Evaluation to be completed by the 2026 Spring Plenary Session
- PRC to be selected during the 2026 Spring Plenary Session
2026-27 Periodic Review Timeline:
- Fall 2025: ASCCC ED and President to initiate Periodic Review Process for 2026-27 Periodic Review and provide direction to the Executive Committee
- Spring 2026: Internal Evaluation completed by Spring Plenary Session
- Spring 2026: PRC selection at Spring Plenary Session
- Fall 2026: PRC meets, conducts Periodic Review
- Fall 2026: PR Breakout at Fall 2026 Plenary Session
- Jan-Feb 2027: PRC Draft Report to the EC for questions and corrections of errors of fact
- March 2027: PRC Final report received by EC
- April 2027: PRC PR Presentation of PRC Report at Spring 2027 Plenary Session
- May-June 2027: EC assignment of PRC recommendations
- Spring 2028: Executive Committee report on the status of all recommendations from the PRC Report by Spring Plenary Session
Evaluation of the Periodic Review Process
The ASCCC will evaluate and revise the Periodic Review Process every two cycles.
October 22, 2020 - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - Zoom
October 27, 2020 - 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. - Zoom
November 1, 2020 - 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - Zoom
November 10, 2020 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
November 24, 2020 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
December 15, 2020 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
January 12, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
January 21, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
February 4, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
February 18, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
March 4, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
March 18, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
April 1, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
April 13, 2021 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. - Zoom
- Periodic Review Report (October 2020 - April 2021)
- Periodic Review Report (October 2016 - January 2017)
- Periodic Review Rubric and Template 2022